The narrow, columnar form of Sky Pencil Holly is just right for small areas. Outstanding for use as a vertical accent, near entryways, or as a privacy screen. Planted in a large container, it has an elegant, formal appearance.
Ilex crenata, commonly known as Japanese holly or box-leaved holly, is a dense, multi-branched, evergreen shrub with a rounded form. It is noted for its glossy, spineless, deep green leaves (to 1 1/4" long) which are attractive all year and its unusual upright shape, while taking up little space, 4-petaled, white flowers which bloom in 3-7 flowered cymes in late spring (May-June), and black rounded somewhat inconspicuous fruits (drupes to 1/4" diameter) which mature in fall on pollinated female plants.
Plants are dioecious (male and female flowers on separate plants), so both male and female plants must be present in order for the female plant to be pollinated and produce fruit.
- You are purchasing a Sky Pencil Holly - 1 Gallon Healthy Potted Plant
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Family: Ilex crenata ‘Holly Sky Pencil’
- Mature Size (H x W): 8' x 3'
- Soil: Average-Medium, well-drained soil, prefers slightly acidic soil
- Hardiness Zone: 5-8
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun/Partial Shade
- Pollinator required: Male/Female required
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Spacing: 18" - 24"
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!