All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
The sassafras tree is a lovely, deciduous, medium-size tree native to the eastern part of North America. It is grown for its unusual distinct leaf pattern which is bright green throughout the summer. In the fall this tree will add a beautiful fall display to your landscape with colors of yellow/red, orange/pink and purple in the cooler months of autumn. Sassafras oils were used in tonics as medical panaceas. It is also used in the production of sassafras tea. All parts of sassafras are aromatic, when crushed produces a citrus-like scent. Sassafras is commonly found in open woods, along fences or in fields. It grows in moist well-drained or sandy loam soils and tolerant of a variety soil types. Sassafras is consumed both by livestock and wildlife.
- You are purchasing one Sassafras Tree in a 3 Gallon Pot
- Hardy and easy to grow
- Attracts birds and butterflies
- Unusual distinct leaf pattern
- Can grow as a single-trunk tree or a dense, bushy thicket
- Produces wonderful aroma
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Botanical Name: Sassafras albidum
- Mature Size (H x W): 30’-60’ x 25’-40’
- Soil: Moist, swampy, acidic soil
- Hardiness Zone: 4-9
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun to partial shade
- Characteristics: Bright to medium green leaves that are 3”-7” long win a 3-lobe shape; autumn brings yellow, deep orange, scarlet, and purple foliage
- Growth Rate: Moderate to fast
- Suggested Uses: Shade, specimen
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!