All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
As its name suggests, the river birch naturally grows along river banks. But as a landscape tree, it can be planted almost anywhere in the U.S. The species is valued for its relatively rapid growth, tolerance of wetness and some drought, unique curling bark, spreading limbs and relative resistance to birch borer.
In cultivation, it can be trained as either a single trunk or multi-trunked tree. As a single trunk tree, it develops a pyramidal habit when young, but matures to a more rounded shape. Multi-trunked trees form a more irregular crown and are generally considered to be the superior growth habit for this species. Salmon-pink to reddish brown bark exfoliates to reveal lighter inner bark. Leathery, diamond-shaped, medium to dark green leaves (1.5-3.5" long) with doubly toothed margins turn yellow in fall. Monoecious flowers appear in drooping, brownish male catkins and smaller, upright, greenish female catkins.
- You are purchasing a multipack of River Birch “Select” – Multi Trunk – Bare Root – Pack of 3
- Features a spreading canopy for shade
- Adds visual interest and beauty to landscape
- Grows in an oval shape
- Develops a cinnamon-colored bark that curls and peels (once mature)
- Can grow as either a single - or multi-stemmed tree
- Features glossy green leaves that are 2-3" long and somewhat triangular. Margins are double-toothed and leaves are arranged alternately.
- Works well for holding stream banks and keeping erosion in check
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Family: Betula Nigra ‘Cully’
- Mature Size (H x W): 40’-50’ x 25’-40’
- Soil: Wet soils along ponds, streams or in low spots
- Soil pH: Should not be planted in very alkaline soil
- Hardiness Zone: 4-9
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun/Part Shade
- Bloom: Produces brown and green catkins in April & May; Yields a large number of tiny nut-lets after female catkins mature, typically in May and June
- Pests: The most bore-resistant birch
- Suggested Uses: Specimen or small groupings for lawns, parks, and commercial properties
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!