All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
Red Chokeberry produces the best fruit when planted in full sun. Chokeberry gets its name because of the tart bitter taste of the fruits. They are technically edible, however the astringent taste can cause choking. However, they are great to make tasty wines, syrup, tea, salsa, jams and jellies. The fruits also make a great source of food for wildlife in winter. Dark green leaves give pretty foliage to this shrub, changing to a reddish color in the fall. Remove root suckers to prevent spread.
- You are purchasing one – Red Chokeberry Shrub - 1 gallon trade pot
- Clusters of small white flowers in early May
- Brilliant fall color: intense raspberry to crimson, with purple highlights, can also have orange mixed in, especially in shade areas
- No serious insect or disease problems
- Can be shipped dormant
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Family: Aronia arbutifolia
- Mature Size (H x W) : 6’-8’ x 3’-4’
- Soil: Moist, well-drained
- Hardiness Zone: 4-9
- Sun Exposure: Full sun to partial shade
- Characteristics: Deciduous, multi-stemmed shrub
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Suggested Uses: Hedge, Naturalize, Rain Garden, Specimen
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!