All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
Named after the famous child star, ‘Shirley Temple’ is a sought after favorite of Peony lovers everywhere. Double white blooms with just a hint of pink blush is both distinctive and beautiful. Blooms are displayed on bold, erect stems.
Peonies are tough, undemanding perennials that can bloom happily for a century or more with little care. Choose a sunny to lightly shaded spot to plant with good air circulation and plenty of room for them to grow. Because they like ample water, they do best in somewhat heavier clay-type soils and away from the roots of trees and shrubs.
When planting, water deeply and maintain even soil moisture until the ground freezes to help the plant develop as many feeder roots as possible its first fall. To protect the delicate roots the first winter, apply mulch. After the ground freezes, mound the newly planted area with 2-4 inches of soil or 5-8 inches of a fluffy, non-matting mulch such as straw, cornstalks, peat moss, or evergreen boughs – but not leaves.
Tip: Potted dormant perennials can be kept in a well-lit cool/cold area (i.e. garage, shed, even in a protected area outdoors) until ready for spring planting. Do not allow them to completely dry out.
- You are purchasing one – Shirley Temple Peony - 1 gallon pot
- 3-5 eyes
- Exceptional fragrance
- Attracts bees; Deer resistant
- Can be shipped dormant
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Family: Paeonia lactiflora ‘Shirley Temple’
- Mature Size(H x W) : 32-36” Tall x 24-36” Wide
- Soil: Loamy, well-draining
- Hardiness Zone: 3-8
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun
- Characteristics: Bold, erect stems
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Bloom: Double white bloom in late spring to early summer
- Suggested Uses: Border, Specimen, Cut Flowers