This peony is named for the daughter of the late President of the United States, Harry Truman. The ‘Margaret Truman’ peony featured here is a true garden classic. This Chinese peony has frilly, medium-sized, densely- packed, deep pink blooms situated on stiff stems with glossy, green, oval to lance-shape leaflets. This sensuous, notably fragrant peony produces multiple flowers to create a lovely single-stemmed bouquet.
Peonies are tough, undemanding perennials that can bloom happily for a century or more with little care. Choose a sunny to lightly shaded spot to plant with good air circulation and plenty of room for them to grow. Because they like ample water, they do best in somewhat heavier clay-type soils and away from the roots of trees and shrubs.
When planting, water deeply and maintain even soil moisture until the ground freezes to help the plant develop as many feeder roots as possible its first fall. To protect the delicate roots the first winter, apply mulch. After the ground freezes, mound the newly planted area with 2-4 inches of soil or 5-8 inches of a fluffy, non-matting mulch such as straw, cornstalks, peat moss, or evergreen boughs – but not leaves.
Tip: Potted dormant perennials can be kept in a well-lit cool/cold area (i.e. garage, shed, even in a protected area outdoors) until ready for spring planting. Do not allow them to completely dry out.
- You are purchasing one – Margaret Truman Peony - 1 gallon pot
- 3-5 eyes
- Exceptional fragrance
- Attracts butterflies, bees, and birds; Rabbit and deer resistant
- Can be shipped dormant
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Family: Paeoniaceae ‘Margaret Truman’
- Mature Size(H x W) : 30-32” Height, Spreads 60-80”
- Spacing: 30”
- Soil: Fertile, well-drained
- Soil pH: 6.1-7.8
- Hardiness Zone: 2-8
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun to partial shade
- Characteristics: Glossy green foliage with oval to lance-shaped leaflets
- Bloom: Deep pink, semi-doubled flowers
- Suggested Uses: Border, Specimen, Cut Flowers