Introduced in 1881, the Felix Crousse peony is still immensely popular! It is a large, double blossom with raspberry-red petals , elegantly ruffled, and with a delicate silvery sheen at their tips. Wonderfully fragrant, they bloom in profusion in late spring to early summer and really standout in the garden.
Remove spent flowers as they fade, then cut back plant after the foliage has died down in the fall. Long lived, peonies do not need to be divided and can be left undisturbed for years.
Peonies are tough, undemanding perennials that can bloom happily for a century or more with little care. Choose a sunny to lightly shaded spot to plant with good air circulation and plenty of room for them to grow. Because they like ample water, they do best in somewhat heavier clay-type soils and away from the roots of trees and shrubs.
When planting, water deeply and maintain even soil moisture until the ground freezes to help the plant develop as many feeder roots as possible its first fall. To protect the delicate roots the first winter, apply mulch. After the ground freezes, mound the newly planted area with 2-4 inches of soil or 5-8 inches of a fluffy, non-matting mulch such as straw, cornstalks, peat moss, or evergreen boughs – but not leaves.
Tip: Potted dormant perennials can be kept in a well-lit cool/cold area (i.e. garage, shed, even in a protected area outdoors) until ready for spring planting. Do not allow them to completely dry out.
- You are purchasing one – Felix Crousse Peony – 1 Gallon Pot
- Recipient of the prestigious Award of Garden Merit from the Royal Horticultural Society
- Deer and rabbit resistant
- Attracts butterflies
- Can be shipped dormant
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Botanical Name: Paeonia lactiflora ‘Felix Crousse’
- Mature Size(H x W) : 24”-36” x 24”-30”
- Soil: Normal, sandy, clay, well-draining
- Hardiness Zone: 3-8
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun or partial shade
- Characteristics: herbaceous, soft stem peony
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Bloom: Raspberry-red blooms in late spring to early summer
- Suggested Uses: Border, Specimen, Cut Flowers