All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
While it may not produce as many blooms as other magnolias, the Sweetbay Magnolia should not be counted out of your landscape plans. This tree flowers late in the spring, avoiding much of the frost that can spoil a blooming tree's beauty. It also attracts a wide variety of songbirds with its fall fruit.
Features cup-shaped, sweet (lemony) fragrance, 9-12 petaled, creamy white, waxy flowers (2-3" diameter) which appear in mid-spring and sometimes continue sporadically throughout the summer. Oblong shiny green foliage is silvery beneath. Foliage is evergreen to semi-evergreen in the South, but generally deciduous in the Northern area. Cone-like fruits with bright red seeds mature in fall and can be showy.
- You are purchasing a pack of Sweetbay Magnolia trees - Healthy Potted Plant – 4” Pot
- Features simple leaves 3”-5" in length that are dark green and often lustrous on top with a silvery, frosted-looking underside.
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Family: Magnolia virginiana
- Soil: Acidic, loamy, moist, rich, sandy, well-drained
- Hardiness Zone: 5-9
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun/Partial Shade
- Characteristics: Typically grows as a multi-stemmed specimen but can be found with a single trunk; Grows in a columnar or vase shape
- Bloom: Produces creamy white flowers 2-3" in diameter that carry a light lemon scent; blooms May through June; Yields clusters of red fruit that attracts wildlife
- Tolerance: Will tolerate periodic flooding
- Suggested Uses: Specimen, patio tree
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!