The Bald Cypress tree is the classic tree of southern swamps. There, in its native habitat, it displays a peculiar habit of raising conical "knees" from its roots. The function of these growths is something of a mystery, although some believe it is a way to help the roots get oxygen. This tree dwells in swamps because it out-competes most other trees on such sites.
Bald Cypress looks like an evergreen, but it actually drops its foliage in the fall, hence the name "bald". It also has far more to offer than a typical evergreen, providing decorative interest all year round.
The Bald Cypress Tree is a lofty, deciduous conifer with a slender, pyramidal habit. Its needle-like leaves are radiant green in spring and summer, and the fern-like foliage is soft and flowing, easily swayed by gentle breezes and lending a graceful accent to your landscape. As if this lovely display weren't enough, autumn brings gorgeous hues of cinnamon-red to your Bald Cypress Tree that will certainly turn heads throughout the fall season.
Even in the winter Bald Cypress Trees are sure to please. When its bright fall foliage has fallen, its trunk is revealed, resplendent in its distinctive raiment of copper-brown bark that peels off in long strips for a truly unique display.
- You are purchasing a Bald Cypress Tree - Plug - 3 pack
- Deciduous conifer
- Yields cones that appear as little globes that attract wildlife
- Grows in pyramidal shape
- Adapts well to wet and dry conditions, develops "cypress knees" only in wet conditions
- Low maintenance
- Native species
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Family: Taxodium distichum
- Mature Size (H x W): 50-70’ x 25’
- Soil: Acidic, loamy, moist, sandy, silty loam, well-drained and clay soils. Is adaptable to wet or dry conditions and can withstand flooding
- Hardiness zone: 4-10
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun/Partial Sun
- Characteristics: Deciduous, Pyramidal, Shade Tree
- Growth Rate: Medium; height increases of 13-24’ per year
- Tolerance: Wet or dry conditions
- Suggested Uses: Erosion control, Timber, Wildlife
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!