The Red Mulberry is a medium sized tree with relatively smooth bark that roughens with long ridges as it ages. Flowers appear around April to May, with fruit ripening from June to August. Mulberries can be eaten raw, used in fruit pastries, and fermented into wine. The mulberry itself is a compound cluster of several small berries similar to a blackberry with the size of ¾” to 1 ¼” long. Wildlife will enjoy the sweet flavor of the berries. Native Americans used the plant medicinally as a worming agent, remedy for dysentery, laxative and emetic.
- You are purchasing a Red Mulberry Tree in a 2 Gallon Pot
- Native to Chicago region
- Easy to care for and maintain
- Sweet fruits attract wildlife
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Botanical Name: Morus rubra
- Mature Size (H x W): 40’-70’ x 40’-50’
- Soil: Alkaline, moist, well-drained
- Hardiness Zone: 5-9
- Sun Exposure: Full to partial sun
- Characteristics: Simple, leaves vary in shape, leaf margins are serrate, dark green leaves turning yellow in fall
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Suggested Uses: Kitchen Garden, Specimen, Wildlife Garden
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!