Winterberries are the 'queens' of the fruiting shrub world when ranked for ornamental value.
Southern Gentleman Winterberry, Ilex verticillata is a tall male winterberry that is used to pollinate ‘Sparkleberry’ and ‘Winter Red’ female Winterberry plants. You’ll see lots of small, white flowers on this shrub. Vigorous growing upright rounded plant with glossy, dark green summer foliage. ‘Southern Gentleman’ turns yellow-green to purple-bronze in fall.
One male plant of 'Southern Gentleman' can pollinate many female plants. A good rule of thumb is one male to five females. ‘Southern Gentleman’ requires no more effort to grow than any other winterberry, looking for regular moisture, although they are quite adaptable to a range of sites.
- You are purchasing a Winterberry Holly 'Southern Gentleman' – 3.5" Pot - 3 pack
- Dark green leaves
- Spring flowers
- Pollinates southern varieties of winterberry
- Yellow-green to purple-bronze fall color
- Attracts over 40 species of birds
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Family: Ilex verticillata 'Southern Gentleman'
- Mature Size: 8' x 8'
- Hardiness Zone: 4-9
- Soil: Rich, well-drained
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun/Part Shade
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Bloom: early June, small whitish-green
- Years to bear: Produces no berries
- Suggested Uses: Accent plant, shrub border, hedge or naturalistic planting
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!