All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
American Hornbeam is a slow-growing, small to medium-sized understory tree. It is native to Missouri where it is typically found in woods, valleys, and ravine bottoms. The mature trees feature a smooth gray bark. Flowers appear in spring in separate male and female catkins, with the female catkins giving way to cluster of winged nutlets. The extremely hard wood of this tree will take a horn-like polish and was once used by early Americans to make bowls, tool handles, and ox yokes.
New leaves emerge reddish-purple, change to dark green, then yellow to orange-red in the fall. Even in winter, the fluted blue-gray bark with long, sinewy ridges make it a special addition to the landscape.
- You are purchasing a 3 Pack of American Hornbeam Trees – Potted Plugs – 4” Pot
- Also called: musclewood, blue beech
- Can be shipped dormant
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Botanical name: Carpinus caroliniana
- Mature Size(H x W) : 20’-35’ x 20’-35’
- Soil: Moist, well-drained, organically rich
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Sun Exposure: Partial to full shade
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Tolerance: Clay soil
- Suggested Uses: Lawns, specimen
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!