Aptly named, ’The King’ Ostrich Fern can reach 6’-7’ in height! With a commanding, erect presence, it shoots up from a bronze base to form a towering vase of plume-like fronds. The large, graceful fronds resemble ostrich plumes. Spreads by underground rhizomes.
Tip: Potted dormant perennials can be kept in a well-lit cool/cold area (i.e. garage, shed, even in a protected area outdoors) until ready for spring planting. Do not allow them to completely dry out.
- You are purchasing one – ‘The King’ Ostrich Fern – 4” Pot
- A vigorous and easy to grow fern
- Genus name honors Carlo Matteucci (1800-1863), Italian physicist
- Can be shipped dormant
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Botanical Name: Matteuccia struthiopteris ‘The King’
- Mature Size(H x W) : 3’-6’ x 3’-5’
- Soil: Average, medium to wet
- Hardiness Zone: 3-7
- Sun Exposure: Full/Partial shade
- Characteristics: Perennial, clump-forming, upright to arching, deciduous fern
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Suggested Uses: Specimen, Shade Gardens, Rain Gardens
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!