All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
Native to northern Europe and Asia, Black Currant is considerably more well known in Europe that it is in the States. Known for its medicinal properties, decoctions of the leaves, bark, fruit, or roots are used as traditional remedies. A rich source of Vitamin C, the berries are extremely tasty made into a syrup to flavor water, or into jams, jellies, pies, and pastries.
Harvest fruit when they are dark and ripe, chill immediately. Black currants freeze very well.
In winter, prune out older branches close to the ground.
- You are purchasing one Black Currant shrub in a 2 Gallon Pot
- Attracts birds
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Botanical Name: Ribes nigrum
- Soil: Average, moist, well-drained
- Hardiness Zone: 3-8
- Sun Exposure: Partial Shade
- Characteristics: Blackish clustered fruit, multi-stemmed thornless shrub
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Suggested Uses: Kitchen Garden, Mass planting, Specimen
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!