All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
Commonly called Summersweet - and for good reason! - this sweet deciduous shrub blooms in summer around July or August. It may also be called Sweet Pepper Bush. This hardy shrub will have small white flowers on 3-5” long racemes, forming clusters at the end of branches, and will bloom even in shady areas. This bush will have a sweet fragrance that will grab your attention. It is a multi-stemed shrub with gray-brown bark. Leaves are medium to dark green, long and serrated at the ends. After the Clethra Alnifolia is finished with its blooms and summer turns into fall, the leaves will turn a golden yellow color that could last up to 2-4 weeks. Clethra can tolerate moisture in its soil and would look excellent bordered along a creek or pond. Make sure to plant where you can appreciate the aroma of this Summersweet bush!
- You are purchasing one – Clethra Alnifolia / Summersweet shrub – 2 Gallon Pot
- Easy to care for and maintain
- Rounded shaped shrub
- Attracts bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds
- Can be shipped dormant
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Botanical Name: Clethra alnifolia
- Mature Size(H x W) : 3’-7’ x 4’-6’
- Soil: Average, moist, acidic, sandy soils
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Characteristics: Dark green, coarsely-toothed foliage turning bright yellow with a hint of orange in the fall
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Suggested Uses: Specimen, woodland garden, streams, riverbanks
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!