All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
Do you like to sit underneath a tree reading a book? The Chinese chestnut is great to use in landscape as it provides great shade in your yard! It produces a sweet tasting nut, great for roasting. Wildlife also enjoys eating the chestnuts.
The Chinese Chestnut Tree is quickly gaining popularity. Growing in a rounded shape, it provides dense shade with a handsome, spreading canopy on those hot summer days. The thick foliage is comprised of oblong-lanceolate, coarsely toothed, glossy dark green leaves with a soft green underside and in the fall, varying shades of shiny yellow are displayed.
Not only does the Chinese Chestnut tree provide ample shade, in September it produces crispy, sweet tasting chestnuts for fresh-eating, roasting or baking. Chinese Chestnut trees are quite versatile and can tolerate drought, but grow best in moist, well-drained, acidic soil with full sun.
- You are purchasing one Chinese Chestnut Tree planted in a 1 Gallon Pot
- Easy to care for and maintain
- Considered a shade, nut, and ornamental tree
- Provides dense shade and handsome spreading canopy
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Botanical Name: Castanea mollissima
- Mature Size (H x W): 40’-60’ x 40’-60’
- Soil: Well-drained, loamy
- Hardiness Zone: 4-8
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun
- Characteristics: Round in shape, with dark leaves; Flowers a pale yellow or cream color. Blooms early summer, but you can harvest mid-late September; bears in 2-3 years
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Suggested Uses: Shade, specimen, border
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!