All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
American Beech Trees are an old time favorite. Considered a shade tree and an ornamental tree, they can grow almost anywhere in the country. The American Beech exhibits a dense canopy of broad, flat, serrated edged leaves that are 3”-6” long. The leaves emerge a dark green turning a bright, golden bronze come fall. Edible, hard brown beechnuts that are ½” to 1” in diameter are produced, attracting many forms of wildlife including birds and mammals such as pigeons, squirrels and chipmunks.
Reserve a large area for this beauty because even though it is a slow to moderate grower, it will reach a height of 50’-70’ and a canopy spread of up to 40’ at maturity for generations to enjoy. American Beech Trees flourish with plenty of sun in fertile, moist, well-drained, acidic soil. They can grow almost anywhere in the country!
- You are purchasing one American Beech Tree - 1 gallon pot
- Easy to care for and maintain
- Considered a shade and ornamental tree
- Dense foliage, upright, oval to rounded canopy
- Valuable to wildlife
- Can be shipped dormant
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Botanical name: Fagus grandifoia
- Mature Size(H x W) : 50’-70’ x 40’
- Soil: Moist, well-drained
- Soil pH: Neutral to acidic
- Hardiness Zone: 4-9
- Sun Exposure: Full sun
- Characteristics: Dense canopy of broad, flat leaves that are 3”-6” long; dark green leaves turn a golden bronze fall foliage
- Fruit: Edible, hard, brown beechnuts
- Growth Rate: Slow to Moderate
- Tolerance: Deer, black walnut, disease and insect resistant
- Intolerance: Drought
- Suggested Uses: Specimen, shade tree
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!