Red Plastic Mulch is primarily used on tomatoes for an early harvest. According to researchers at Cornell and Clemson universities, when tomatoes are grown on red mulch they have higher yields, stronger stems and ripen earlier. Research has also found that red mulch reduces nematode damage. The plant responds to the high proportion of reflected far-red from the red mulch by growing taller and putting out more leaves. Eggplant have also shown increased yields when grown
It is the color of the mulch that changes the intensity of certain wave lengths of light that in turn has an impact on plant growth and subsequent yields. Studies by Penn State University show tomato yields have been as much as 20% higher with red plastic mulch than with black.
Red mulch reflects intensified red light to the developing plants which increases their photosynthetic capacity. There is more reflectivity early in the season when more of the mulch is exposed to light. This red plastic mulch is made of high quality, durable plastic that is 1.0 mil thick and lays well over flat or raised beds. It has season-long integrity and is easily removed from the field after harvest.
Crops Suited for Red Plastic Mulch:
- Vegetables: tomatoes, peppers, melons, onions, potatoes, & eggplant
- Small Fruits: strawberries in annual hill system
- Cut Flowers: because of many different species of flowers, on-farm trials should be made
Advantages of using Red Mulch:
- Uniform red color for uniform field results.
- Soil warming of 4 to 6 degrees Fahrenheit
- Almost total weed control.
- Reduction of soil moisture evaporation.
- Improved yields, although there will be variation from year to year.
- Easy to install and durable. Our plastic lays extremely well with very few machine adjustments.
You can lay it at higher speeds! Strong enough for either double cropping in the same season or possibly over two seasons. Easy field
- Our plastic has superior elasticity with a built in memory that hugs the bed tighter than smooth or cold post embossed films.
This material will not flop in the wind.
- This hot cast film is extremely strong and elastic in all directions. In turn it sticks to the bed and will not allow heat to escape.
- Our is more opaque than like gauges of blown or smooth films. This translates into better weed supression and more evenly dispersed temperature control.
- This material has a superior field life and is easy to pick up at the end of the season!
Mulch 1.0 mil Installation Tips:
- Prepare soil well. It should be smooth and pliable
- Do not lay paper on dry soil. Beds should be firm.
- To prevent tearing, adjust wheels on plastic laying machine so that they do not stretch the paper.
- Plastic should be in close contact with the soil for maximum heat transfer into the soil.
- Be sure the edges of the plastic are well secured with soil.
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Would recommend this product.
Would recommend this product.
Date: Apr37l 21, 2017
Does what is supposed to do
Great Product. Quick Shipping!
Location: Tuscaloosa, Al
Date: December 17, 2016
Quick sipping! I'm sure that my tomatoes will love the red plastic mulch
Red Plastic Mulch
Date: March 21, 2016
Great product!! I used red plastic on my tomatoes last year and saw about a 10% increase in production. The plastic is a little bit thin but it has to be like that to allow some light through it.