All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
The award-winning ’Mons. Jules Elie’ is noted for its double pink bloom with beautiful, smooth rosy pink guard petals surrounding a mound of inward-curved silvery-pink petals, providing a slight two-toned effect.
This peony is the recipient of the Award of Garden Merit of the Royal Horticultural Society.
Peonies are tough, undemanding perennials that can bloom happily for a century or more with little care. Choose a sunny to lightly shaded spot to plant with good air circulation and plenty of room for them to grow. Because they like ample water, they do best in somewhat heavier clay-type soils and away from the roots of trees and shrubs.
When planting, water deeply and maintain even soil moisture until the ground freezes to help the plant develop as many feeder roots as possible its first fall. To protect the delicate roots the first winter, apply mulch. After the ground freezes, mound the newly planted area with 2-4 inches of soil or 5-8 inches of a fluffy, non-matting mulch such as straw, cornstalks, peat moss, or evergreen boughs – but not leaves.
Tip: Potted dormant perennials can be kept in a well-lit cool/cold area (i.e. garage, shed, even in a protected area outdoors) until ready for spring planting. Do not allow them to completely dry out.
- You are purchasing one – Mons. Jules Elie Peony - 1 gallon pot
- 3-5 eyes
- Exceptional fragrance
- Needs staking
- Easy care
- Attracts bees; Deer and rabbit resistant
- Can be shipped dormant
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Family: Paeonia x ‘Mons. Jules Elie’
- Mature Size(H x W) : 30” Tall x 24” Wide
- Soil: Fertile, well-drained
- Hardiness Zone: 3-8
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Characteristics: Green foliage with pink-toned blooms
- Growth Rate: Medium
- Bloom: Pink-toned bloom that varies from rose pink to silvery pink in early summer
- Suggested Uses: Border, Specimen, Cut Flowers