All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
Peonies are an old time favorite for late spring display. The ‘Festive Maxima’ featured here is a true garden classic that displays a very unique form and beautiful coloring. Huge, double, snowy white blooms with delicate flecks of crimson peeking through and are displayed on the bold, erect stems of this clumping perennial. Excellent background plant for spring bulbs, or use in perennial or shrub borders.
Peonies are tough, undemanding perennials that can bloom happily for a century or more with little care. Choose a sunny to lightly shaded spot to plant with good air circulation and plenty of room for them to grow. Because they like ample water, they do best in somewhat heavier clay-type soils and away from the roots of trees and shrubs.
When planting, water deeply and maintain even soil moisture until the ground freezes to help the plant develop as many feeder roots as possible its first fall. To protect the delicate roots the first winter, apply mulch. After the ground freezes, mound the newly planted area with 2-4 inches of soil or 5-8 inches of a fluffy, non-matting mulch such as straw, cornstalks, peat moss, or evergreen boughs – but not leaves.
Tip: Potted dormant perennials can be kept in a well-lit cool/cold area (i.e. garage, shed, even in a protected area outdoors) until ready for spring planting. Do not allow them to completely dry out.
- You are purchasing one – Festiva Maxima Peony - 1 gallon pot
- 3-5 eyes
- Exceptional fragrance
- Attracts butterflies, bees, and birds; Rabbit and deer resistant
- Can be shipped dormant
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Family: Paeoniaceae ‘Festiva Maxima’
- Mature Size(H x W) : 24-26” Height & Spread
- Spacing: 30”
- Soil: Fertile, well-drained
- Hardiness Zone: 3-8
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun to half sun/half shade
- Characteristics: Glossy green foliage
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Bloom: White flower with red accent
- Suggested Uses: Border, Specimen, Cut Flowers