Did you know the Horseradish plant is also known as Sting-Nose (Aromotacia Rusticana). Horseradish is a member of the mustard family and is cultivated for its thick, fleshy white root. They grow large leafy foliage, reaching 18 inches wide and 24 inches tall.
Horseradish has the power to "sting your nose". The aroma and bite is unnoticeable until it is grated or ground. When the root is grated and crushed, volatile oils (sothiocyanates) are released and with this bring the sting and heat that horseradish is known for.
Horseradish leaves are edible. However it is grown for its root. When the root is harvested and graded it is ready to use in many recipes and meat dishes. Horseradish ranks in the top five easiest-to-grow food plants.
- You are purchasing Horseradish roots – 1 pound
- Plant in early spring to late fall
- Family: Armoracia rusticana
- Soil: Will grow in all kinds of soil; however it is a good idea to amend your soil; well-drained
- Soil pH: 5.5-7.5
- Hardiness Zone: 2-9
- Characteristics: Horseradish is a spreading plant, take into consideration when planting
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!