All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
The Overcup Oak tree is a long-lived, very sturdy shade tree that will thrive in a wide variety of soil conditions. Long overlooked by growers, the tree is gaining popularity and has been made more available for home landscapes.
Because of its size, shape, adaptability and hardiness, the Overcup Oak makes an excellent urban street tree. The Overcup Oak is at the top of the food preference list for squirrels and smaller rodents as well as larger animals such as wild turkeys, hogs, and white-tailed deer.
The Overcup Oak features alternating, simple dark green leaves that are 6”-8” long and have 3-5 pairs of obtuse, acutish lobes. They turn a rich yellow-brown in the fall. It yields acorns that are round and up to 1” in diameter, with a cap that covers the nut almost entirely.
- You are purchasing one Overcup Oak Tree planted in a 1 Gallon Pot
- Shade tree with a spreading canopy capable of blocking sunlight
- Transplants easily
- Adapts well to inhospitable soil conditions
- Grows in an oval to rounded shape with an open crown
- Develops uniform branching, with upswept lower branches minimizing the need for pruning
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Botanical Name: Quercus lyrata
- Mature Size (H x W): 45’-70’ x 35’-50’
- Soil: Grows in acidic, loamy, sandy, well-drained, wet, and clay soils. Prefers well-drained conditions, but can withstand considerable flooding
- Hardiness Zone: 5-9
- Sun Exposure: Full sun to partial shade
- Characteristics: Attracts squirrels
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Suggested Uses: Ornamental, specimen, accent plant
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!