All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
While most trees and shrubs do not ‘shine’ in winter, winterberry hollies are at their best, while the rest of the landscape looks barren. Unlike evergreen hollies, winterberries are deciduous. The lack of leaves makes the prolific display of red fruit that much more dramatic!
Winter Red produces loads of bright-red berries on a large plant. The red berries will make this plant the focal point of your garden in the fall and winter. In the fall and early winter, cut some of the fruited branches for indoor decoration.
Winterberries are the "queens" of the fruiting shrub world when ranked for ornamental value. From early fall through winter, the branches are covered in bright-red fruits. The fruiting branches are great for decoration in the garden or in the house.
The leaves of Winterberries are thick and dark green and contrast well with the red fruit. The leaves drop off the plant in late fall to expose the beautiful berries. You'll need both male and female plants to produce fruits, with one male for up to 5 nearby females. Winterberries are native to North America; no garden should be without them!
- You are purchasing a Winterberry Holly ‘Winter Red’ – 3.5” Pot - 3 pack
- Needs a pollinator
- Clusters of red berries persist all winter
- Small flowers provide nectar for butterflies and other beneficial insects
- Native to Eastern and Central United States; parts of Canada
- Great for holiday decorating
- Attracts over 40 species of birds
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Family: Ilex verticillata ‘Winter Red’
- Mature Size: 9’ x 9’
- Hardiness Zone: 3-9
- Characteristics: Deciduous, upright, mounded, clusters of red berries, female variety
- Pollinator Required: Pollinated by ‘Southern Gentleman’ and ‘Apollo’
- Soil: Average, well-drained
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun/Part Shade
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Spacing: 4’
- Tolerance: Poorly drained soil
- Suggested Uses: Accent plant, shrub border, hedge or naturalistic planting
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!