All orders to California will be shipped bare root in accordance with state regulations.
A blackberry for your garden! Growing your own blackberries can be easy and fun. Grow bushels of healthy, flavorful blackberries that can be eaten fresh off the bush. There is nothing better than blackberry preserves or hot blackberry cobbler and ice cream. Remember you grandmother’s fresh blackberry tart? Not only are you saving money, but you are getting fresh fruit from your own blackberry bush!
The Chester blackberry is a thornless, semi-erect, summer-bearing blackberry. Great all around blackberry – firm but not tart. It is the most productive plant of its kind that you can grow in the upper mid-west. Fruit won’t soften, leak, or lose color in the South either. Productive canes yield berries perfect for fresh eating, preserves, and baking. Summer-bearing floricane.
In many cases, you may still want to plant pollinating partners to increase the size of your crop, but self-pollinating varieties doing so is optional.
- You are purchasing a ‘Chester’ Blackberry Plant - 4" Pot, 6"-10" tall, heavy rooted – 1 each
- Canes may need support for weight distribution of heavy fruit
- Blackberries are high in antioxidants and provide many nutritional benefits
- Note: Images are of mature plants
- Mature Size (HxW): 4-5’ tall x 3-4’ wide
- Soil: Well-drained, loamy soil
- Soil pH: Best at 6.0-6.8
- Hardiness Zone: 5-8
- Sun Exposure: Full sun
- Characteristics: Thornless, mild taste, firm texture
- Pollinator Required: Self-pollinating
- Ripens/Harvest: July
- Spacing: 3’ apart in 5’ wide rows
- Tolerance: Tolerates hot, dry weather
- Years to bear: 1-2
Customer Ratings & Reviews
Be the first to rate this item!